Bob Mackin (Updated)
A student who published a threatening message about West Vancouver’s Rockridge Secondary on Snapchat has been suspended from the school until further notice, according to the school’s principal.
Judy Duncan said in a one-paragraph email to parents on Sept. 16 that the West Vancouver Police conducted a thorough investigation and decided that the school would open as usual.
“We are confident that all measures have been taken and that there is no threat to student safety. We look forward to a regular school day [Monday],” Duncan wrote.
In an update later in the day, Duncan wrote, “The school can also confirm that the student involved in the post will not be attending Rockridge Secondary until further notice.”
The image circulated on Snapchat shows a photograph of the suspect, a downcast boy wearing rose-coloured glasses, under the words: “I will be there distinction thought fighting by my side. This pitifully ruled school of ours, will come to an end tomorrow. This is a threat. Not some rant so TAKE ACTION NOW.” (theBreaker.news is choosing not to publish the image for the time being.)
“Officers have met with the student responsible and have determined there is no credibility to the threat,” said West Vancouver Police spokesman Const. Kevin Goodmurphy. Currently, he said, no criminal charges are being considered.
School board chair Carolyn Broady said she had been briefed, but would not comment because of protocol and referred a reporter’s query to the school board’s communications office.
Support theBreaker.news for as low as $2 a month on Patreon. Find out how. Click here.